The Public Relations Manager is a key contributor to the Public Relations team at Produce Marketing Association and is responsible for enhancing the association’s brand and reputation by developing and implementing proactive, multi-channeled Public Relations strategies for PMA and the Center for Growing Talent by PMA, including planning and implementation, media outreach, conference and event strategies and maintaining strong relationships with key audiences, including members, media, partners and staff.
The Public Relations Manager works under the general direction of the Vice President of Communications and works closely with other departments when executing communications plans.
The Public Relations Manager builds and maintains working relationships with the media, vendors, employees, various PMA members and Center for Growing Talent by PMA stakeholders, potential members, industry promotional organizations, health and educational institutions, and other external organizations in the produce and floral industries.
Project management: 20%
Stakeholder communications: 30%
- Work closely with director and public relations colleagues to develop and implement Public Relations team strategies that support the association’s business plans and contribute to organization goals.
- Contribute to and manage the team editorial calendar.
- Manage and grow communications channels into sustainable, highly-visible vehicles; incorporate digital tools (e.g., virtual press conferences, blogs, discussion boards, etc.) into communications toolkit when applicable.
- Represent department at cross-functional team meetings; lead project meetings as appropriate.
- Contribute to the creation of guidelines for the team—including the creation and maintenance of documents like the PMA crisis manual, key message manual and style guide.
- Ensure public communications are relevant, consistent, credible, timely and reflect PMA initiatives/strategic priorities with close attention to consistent messaging across outbound communications.
- Work with the team to create and pull analytics reports for project-based initiatives, including media database software, web analytics, and email metrics; measure ROI on all communications efforts. Report findings to cross-functional teams. Work with VP Communications to redirect efforts as needed.
- Attend meetings and events as assigned by VP Communications.
Media relations: 30%
- Understand the fresh produce and floral supply chain, PMA members and their experiences. Research target markets, create customer profiles, analyze potential touch points, collect stories and testimonials, and incorporate feedback into communications strategy.
- Create and/or coordinate the creation of journalistic content to build awareness of the association’s products and services; includes editing and proofreading content; Identifying opportunities to repurpose.
- Manage content, production and distribution of targeted member communications that support the association’s brand and serve member needs, including member alerts, newsletters, articles, blogs, feature stories and other communications.
- Manage Public Relations areas of the website, including content creation and updates; work with the team to perform ongoing quality checks to identify and correct typos, broken links and ensure information is up-to-date.
Employee relations: 10%
- Assist VP Communications in implementation of media outreach strategies
- Contribute to the creation of media trade agreements, where appropriate;
- Coordinate distribution of news to send to appropriate media channels using media software system.
- Produce targeted media communications, including press releases, advisories, letters to the editor, articles and other communications.
- Maintain existing relationships and develop new relationships with media; contribute to updating and creating media lists with Public Relations Coordinator.
- Pitch story ideas and follow-up on press outreach to targeted media contacts/outlets.
- Collaborate with VP Communications to respond to press and member inquiries; arrange the appropriate spokesperson; schedule the interview; staff interviews to help guide conversations and ensure key messages are shared.
- Support VP Communications in preparation of external presentations or interviews for management staff, including speeches, talking points, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Assist VP Communications with media training for internal and external spokespeople (i.e., speaking engagements, media interviews, etc.).
- Manage press relations for PMA meetings and events; coordinate and support media events as needed; where appropriate, develop approval processes to share in and outside department colleagues.
- Manage production of monthly media stories from draft creation through final product (editorials, advertorials, etc.).
Support department administration: 5%
- Ensure employees are aware of company efforts and news through effective internal communication of plans on a continuous, ongoing basis; disseminate relevant industry news as appropriate.
- Maintain and update internal communications tools to distribute association news and personal updates that support community sharing among employees.
Maintain professional skills: 5%
- Negotiate estimates and manage efforts of freelance writers and other vendors with the Director of Public Relations;
- Assists with Public Relations Team budget of $500,000; contributing to monthly expense analysis and projections.
- Has indirect influence on cross-functional project budgets of approximately $300,000.
Measures of Success:
- Attend professional meetings, workshops, seminars and continuing education classes as appropriate.
- Stay on top of the latest trends and best practices for communications professionals.
- Maintain professional affiliations as appropriate.
Success in this position will be determined by:
- Raising PMA’s brand awareness around the globe with diverse audiences
- Safeguard PMA’s brand image and reputation through daily communications efforts
- Ensuring balanced communications across year-round value areas
- Effective member and colleague communications that result in enhanced awareness of PMA’s value offerings
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or other related field; minimum 3 years of experience.
- Experience writing targeted communications materials, in addition to editing and layout (i.e., speeches, talking points, news releases, media advisories, op-eds, articles).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent grammar, punctuation and proofreading; working knowledge of AP style.
- Consultative nature; comfortable listening to others and understanding needs in order to make recommendations action, strategies, priorities, and, where appropriate, consultant advice.
- Must have a professional presence; regularly interacting with senior leaders, media representatives, and members.
- Strong computer and research skills (Microsoft Office suite, including Word and PowerPoint; HTML editing software; blogging software).
- Detail oriented, and highly organized, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet strict deadlines and reprioritize as outlined by the VP Communications.
- Strong team philosophy required.
- Domestic and international travel required.
No telework or relocation benefits available for this position.