The Vice President of Communications leads the organization’s strategic communication efforts, working cross-functionally to define and highlight the PMA brand through staff, member and external communications, reinforcing and further developing PMA’s leadership in the global fresh produce and floral industries.
The Vice President leads the Communications team and provides strategic direction for promoting PMA thought leadership and member value through a range of communications techniques. The Vice President works proactively to identify and evaluate external opportunities to position PMA senior leadership as thought leaders. The Vice President serves as a communications resource to trade and mass media (print, broadcast and digital), membership, staff, and others. The Vice President is responsible for the content and execution of PMA member communication vehicles, and works collaboratively with Marketing, Public Relations and other internal teams to meet communications needs of the organization. Additionally, the Vice President provides leadership and direction for all internal communications across the organization.
Works under the administrative direction of the Senior Vice President of Member Value and with other PMA staff through the development and execution of a communications plan. Leads the PMA Crisis Management team, and provides strategic communications direction to the Issues Leadership team and PMA’s senior leaders. Provides general direction and supervision to members of the cross-functional communications team, as well as strategically selecting vendors, and partners worldwide to appropriately distribute task and projects. Works in project and cross-functional teams.
Regular contact with members and prospective members. Daily contact with print and broadcast media including industry trade press, food industry coalitions, regulatory agencies, and program managers. Guides and manages related PMA contractors.
- Responsible for development and execution of PMA Communications Plan that produces results that meet or exceed established benchmarks and goals. Utilizes proactive communications strategies to position PMA, key staff, and when appropriate, volunteer leaders, to consumer and trade broadcast, digital, and print media, integrating those into the overall content strategy. Builds strong global network with consumer and trade press. Works as part of the Communications team to ensure messaging is aligned and appropriate vehicles are being employed as part of the PMA Content Strategy. 50%
- Ensures timely communication to members on critical issues, including supporting grassroots communications, as well as regularly-scheduled member communications and other content vehicles as appropriate to highlight results and success stories. 10%
- Ensures member communications efforts properly position PMA leadership of the global fresh produce and floral industries, and ensures that communications strategies are part of the overall content strategy. 10%
- Proactively identifies and evaluates opportunities to position PMA staff as thought leaders. 10%
- Leads, motivates and develops communication staff. 10%
- Manages the communications budget, including strategic use of vendors and contractors. 5%
- Maintains and increases technical and industry knowledge. (5%)
- Serves as a role model for PMA’s core values and competencies. Supports collaborative and innovative culture. (ongoing)
Measures for Success
- Hiring, development and management of communications staff
- Selecting and managing relevant vendors and other resources
- Setting communications priorities to support brand messaging, particularly when messages, schedules, distribution, or other factors conflict; works with Communications team (including Marketing and Digital Content) to ensure plans are aligned
- Creating and implementing policies relevant to communications programs
- Lead crisis management for the organization
- Provides leadership for communication strategies across all pillars, including branding and messaging
- Further develops PMA’s position as the lead association for produce and floral industries, as well as senior leaders as thought leaders. This includes strategic press placements and inclusion as well as public appearances and speaking engagements
- Further develops content strategy to provide year-round member value that is global, balanced and differentiated as evidenced by increase in member engagement (measured by member engagement scorecard) as well as meeting membership recruitment and retention goals
- Effective business planning and execution
- Serves as a role model for PMA’s core values and competencies
- Supports collaborative and innovative culture
- Bachelor’s degree
- Seven+ years communications experience, including experience developing and leading crisis management strategies
- Industry knowledge and global experience highly desirable
- Project management skills
- Proven track record of leading high-performing teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage interests of internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of and ability to develop pro-active strategies to support marketing and communications goals
- Proven experience in managing outsourced vendors
- Ability to proactively establish and nurture effective relationships with trade press
- Understanding of and appreciation for advantages and challenges of various communication technologies, including digital and social media platforms
- Strong organizational skills, team orientation
- Innovative, collaborative style and strong creative sense
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent project management, communications and collaboration skills
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Domestic and global travel required
No telework option available for this position.