Innovative Packaging Earns PMA Impact Awards
. — Four companies, representing five new products, were named the produce industry’s best packaging innovators on Friday, Oct. 14, receiving the association’s tenth annual PMA Impact Award: Excellence in Packaging. The winning companies were announced during PMA’s 2016 Fresh Summit Convention & Expo in Orlando, Fla., USA. The award recognizes exceptional produce and floral packaging that demonstrates innovation and makes an impact on consumers.
The 2016 Impact Award winners in alphabetical order are:
- Mann Packing Co. Inc., Salinas, Calif., for its Nourish Bowls™
- Mastronardi Produce Ltd./SUNSET®, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its Dill It Yourself™ Pickle Kit
- Mucci Farms, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its CuteCumber Flow Wrap Re-seal
- Mucci Farms, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its Smuccies Sweet Strawberries Top Seal Tray
- Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, Calif., for its Season & Steam Sweet Baby Broccoli
A panel of judges evaluated entries holistically, awarding points for excellence in five key areas: marketing, food safety, supply chain efficiency/functionality, sustainability and consumer convenience. The combined point totals from each of these areas determined the finalists and five packaging winners.
The 15 remaining finalists were:
- Braga Fresh Family Farms, Soledad, Calif., for its Josie’s Organics Chopped Salad Kits
- Display Pack, Grand Rapids, Mich., for its Good Foods Grab & Go
- Fresh Solutions Network, San Francisco, for its Side Delights® Flavorables™
- Frieda’s Specialty Produce, Los Alamitos, Calif., for its Watermelon Radishes
- Mastronardi Produce Ltd./SUNSET®, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its SUNSET Organics® 6-Ct. Pepper Bag
- Mucci Farms, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its Fresh Mix™ Double Compartment Tray with Re-Sealable Label
- Mucci Farms, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its Veggies-To-Go Clamshell
- Mucci Farms, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, for its Tomato-X Clamshell
- NatureFresh™ Farms, Leamington, Ontario, Canada, for its The TomBox™
- NatureSweet®, San Antonio, Texas, for its Constellation™ Tomatoes
- Naturipe Farms, LLC, Estero, Fla., for its “Selections” Cranberries
- Pure Hothouse Foods Inc., Leamington, Ontario, Canada, for its Cloud 9 - The Irresistible Tomato
- RPE, Inc., Bancroft, Wis., for its Tasteful Selections Season and Savor
- RPE, Inc., Bancroft, Wis., for its Tasteful Selections Take and Shake
- Taylor Farms, Salinas, Calif., for its Chef Crafted, Taylor Clear™
This year’s judges have a diverse range of industry experience:
About Produce Marketing Association (PMA)
- Dr. Bob Whitaker, chief science & technology officer, Produce Marketing Association, Newark, Del.
- Kip Martin, director of produce and floral merchandising and training, Grocery Outlet, Emeryville, Calif.
- Meg Major, chief content editor, Progressive Grocer, Chicago
- Peter Goulet, founder and owner, Pinnacle Sales & Marketing Inc., Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Ron McCormick, senior director of sustainable agriculture, Walmart, Bentonville, Ark.
Produce Marketing Association is the leading trade association representing companies from every segment of the global produce and floral supply chain. PMA helps members grow by providing connections that expand business opportunities and increase sales and consumption. For more information, visit www.pma.com