Summary: The Executive Director serves as the chief staff officer of the Center for Growing Talent and a member of the PMA Senior Management Team.
For the CGT, the Executive Director is responsible for:
- Leading CGT’s strategy
- Advising and motivating the CGT Board of Directors
- Planning, organizing, and directing the talent programs and resource development activities of CGT to assure that “talent” objectives of PMA’s and CGT’s missions are achieved
- Leads and supervises (directly or indirectly) all CGT staff.
- Serving as a member of the PMA Senior Management Team and contributes to the vision and deliverables as requested
The Executive Director reports to the PMA’s CEO, is the primary liaison to the CGT Board of Directors, supervises all CGT staff and builds extensive and ongoing relationships with all teams in PMA.
Creates relationships within the produce and floral industry; ensures working relationships with industry-related program directors at academic institutions worldwide; and maintains effective working relationships with other associations, foundations, trade publications, federal and state governments, local community groups, partners, contractors, and vendors as necessary to enhance the image and operation of the CGT and ensure its objectives are achieved.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates commitment to the vision, mission, goals, and objectives of PMA and CGT
- Participates as a standing member of the Senior Management Team of PMA and all the responsibilities related to that role:
- Strategic planning
- Business and budget planning
- Staff engagement and leadership
- Strategy: Collates the inspiration from all stakeholders to create the vision for CGT and builds consensus to execute the strategic direction.
- Thought Leadership: Establishes insight into industry and global trends affecting business’ success.
- Board relations: Excites and supports CGT Board of Directors to operationalize the vison, mission and objectives it establishes for the CGT and follows established procedures for updating the PMA and CGT Board on the financial position of the CGT.
- Staff: Inspires, leads and directs CGT staff, including establishing a sound organizational structure for staff to meet the CGT’s objectives. Maintains final review for all hiring and firing, promotions, compensation decisions, performance evaluations, training and technology needs and other decisions consistent with PMA employment practices and policies, and all applicable laws and regulations.
- Program planning and execution: has overall responsibility for CGT programs that provide industry specific solutions that attract, develop and retain talent for the global produce and floral industry.
- Revenue planning and execution: in conjunction with CGT Board, contributes leadership to and engages in the long term financial success of CGT through a diverse funding plan that includes sponsorships, fundraising, and program revenue. This is accomplished in coordination with other PMA teams engaged in revenue acquisition.
- Financial reporting: In conjunction with the CFO, develops and maintains an appropriate budgeting and financial reporting system; oversees the authorized expenditure of funds; and assures that all funds, physical assets and other property of CGT are appropriately safeguarded and administered and that all necessary legal filings are legally compliant.
- Business Planning and Implementation: Develops and implements CGT business plans in concert with the PMA/CGT Strategic Plan.
- Marketing and Communications: In conjunction with PMA Marketing, Public Relations, and appropriate vendors, ensures effective planning and execution of all marketing and communications plans for CGT. Together with the Chairman of the CGT Board of Directors, serves as the official spokesperson of CGT and represents it at events where such attendance is appropriate to further its objectives and build necessary relationships.
- Collaboration with PMA Teams: Sets the example for collaboration and cooperation in planning and executing work.
In addition, the Executive Director has the responsibility to:
- Demonstrate unwavering ethics.
- Build personal competencies through a commitment to lifelong learning, including technology.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the PMA CEO and CGT Board of Directors.
Measures of Success
- Efficiently and effectively uses all CGT and PMA resources to meet the strategic goals set by the CGT Board of Directors
- Meets fundraising goals set by the CGT Board of Directors
- Achieves all program and personal performance/development goals established during annual planning
- Provides leadership by example
- Effectively maintains a network of business and academic leaders
- Establishes and maintains a reputation of trust and effectiveness
- Master’s degree or comparable education/experience
- Ten or more years of demonstrated experience in non-profit charitable leadership and board engagement
- Experience with a high-growth, entrepreneurial organization
- Understanding of cutting edge human resources strategies and program development
- Demonstrated success in fund raising
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Demonstrated high level of passion, vision, maturity, professionalism, integrity, energy, confidence, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Mastery of verbal, written and interpersonal communications
- Experience with business and financial/fiscal management
- Creative problem-solver
- Skilled with technology programs
- Ability to travel extensively (12-15 trips per year).